[OpenIndiana-discuss] Procedure for enabling Sun keys

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 8 21:53:06 UTC 2018

I'm using a Sun USB keyboard on my OI-hipster system.  It was
previously a Solaris 11.3 system.  I'd become accustomed to using two
of the Sun keys of the 10-key cluster at the left side of the Sun
keyboard.  When I replaced it with the OI-hipster system, those keys
no longer worked.  They all showed 0xffffff in the Keyboard Shortcuts
application.

Here's what I did to restore the Sun keys to operation.  First, I
started the Keyboard Preferences application.  I selected Layouts.  It
showed a Sun Type 6/7 USB keyboard.  Then I selected Options, and
looked for one called Maintain key compatibility with old Solaris
keycodes.  I enabled that option and then closed the application.  I
understand that doing this disables the volume control keys on the
upper right of the keyboard.  Fortunately, I never used those keys.

Next, I started the Keyboard Shortcuts application.  I selected
Minimize Window and pressed the Open key on that key cluster.  The
application showed F17 for that key.  Then, I selected Raise window if
it's covered ... and pressed the Front key.  The application showed
F15 for that one.  Then I closed the application.

After those changes, those two keys did what they used to do before I
replaced the Solaris 11.3 system.  You could set up shortcuts for more
of those keys, of course.