[OpenIndiana-discuss] Latest Hipster very slow

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:35:34 UTC 2018

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Jean-Pierre André <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to use the latest Hipster on VirtualBox before
> installing on real hardware, but it is running much slower than
> older versions.
>
> When booting, the GUI login screen shows after 12 minutes, on
> older versions this was less than 4 minutes, with VirtualBox
> configured the same way on the same computer.
>
> I also get the following, which I do not know whether this is
> the cause or a consequence :
>
> =============== console =========
> Hostname: openindiana
> Mounting ZFS filesystems: (6/6)
> Jun 20 17:06:56 svc.startd[9]: svc:/network/inetd-upgrade:default:
> Method or ser
> vice exit timed out. Killing contract 71.
> Jun 20 17:06:57 svc.startd[9]: svc:/network/inetd-upgrade:default:
> Method "/lib/
> svc/method/inetd-upgrade start" failed due to signal KILL.
>
> openindiana console login: Jun 20 17:10:59 openindiana svc.startd[9]:
> network/in
> etd-upgrade:default failed: transitioned to maintenance (see 'svcs -xv'
> for deta
> ils)
>
> SUNW-MSG-ID: SMF-8OOO-VX, TYPE: defect, VER: 1, SEVERITY: major
> EVENT-TIME Wed Jun 20 17:11:00 CEST 2018
> PLATFORM: Virtualbox, CSN: 0, HOSTNAME: openindiana
> SOURCE: software-diagnosis, REV: 0.1
> EVENT-ID: e97c0289-646f-4fe1-ccce-fe5ba0bb3b2c
> DESC: A service failed - a method is failing in a retryable manner but
> too often
> .
>    Refer to http://illumos.org/msg/SMF-8000-YX for more information.
> AUTO-RESPONSE: The service has been placed into the maintenance state.
> IMPACT: svc:/network/inetd-upgrade:default is unavailable.
> REC-ACTION: Run 'svcs -xv svc:/network/inetd-upgrade:default' to
> determine the g
> eneric reason why the service failed, the location of any logfiles, and
> a list o
> f other services inpacted.
>
> I even get this when booting the live-DVD.
>
> What can be the cause ?
>
> Jean-Pierre

Can KPTI be the problem? If the host does not have PCID and INVPCID, VMs get really slow.

This document is for the most part relevant for OpenIndiana as well: https://omniosce.org/info/kpti E.g. try to boot OpenIndiana with "kpti=0".

I suggest you test the image on the real HW, VirtualBox may not be the right test here.

Michal