[OpenIndiana-discuss] Greek keyboard

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:16:13 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos <
asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >Would you mind pasting the output of setxkbmap -v ?
>
> Initially it was set to a sun something
>
> >At least on a Swedish keyboard, level 3 works >properly only with a
> Generic PC 105 layout, not the >Sun one
>
> $ setxkbmap -v
> Trying to build keymap using the following components:
> keycodes:   xfree86+aliases(qwerty)
> types:      complete
> compat:     complete
> symbols:    pc+us+inet(pc105)+gr:2+group(alt_shift_toggle)+eurosign(e)+
> terminate(ctrl_alt_bksp)
> geometry:   pc(pc105)
>
> But no still nothing changes. It seems that
> whole infrastructure is problematic.
>
> >I figured that I cannot type any valid accented >characters on my Swedish
> laptop keyboard unless >~/.dmrc specifies Language=fr_FR.UTF-8.
>
> Initially there was no entry for language. I added
>
> Language=el_GR.UTF-8
>
> but nothing happened and of course (!) changing to
> fr.FR.UTF-8 did not work either.
>
> It seems I have to revert to the old BE and forget
> updating for a while. BTW, who is actually "touching"
> these files?It would be nice to tell them that they
> do more harm than good.

The issue is that people change the way and location locales are picked up
depending on the distribution and they break existing behaviour without
telling (like requiring ibus to make layouts work).
I have installed and tested the updates for some time before pushing: I
still cannot break my setting on the workstation while the laptop setting
breaks for a different combination of language/keyboard layout.
For me defining a Language and rebooting (you need lightdm to pass the
setting to X) works around the problem for my laptop and desktop.
On the workstation where I have a french locale defined I never encountered
any breakage.

--
---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings