[OpenIndiana-discuss] AMD graphics for OI?

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Wed May 2 08:13:02 UTC 2018

On 05/02/2018 07:25 AM, srvr_mnk at srvr-tmpl.ikhider.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know there are graphics drivers for Nvidea hardware, but my hardware
> is AMD.
>
> What is the status for AMD grahics drivers on OI? Is it one of those
> long-term, "one day...when GNU HURD dominates the marketplace on
> consumer and enterprise systems".
>
> SM

If you have (very) old enough graphics card, you may use the Xorg driver
(it's either called 'ati', or 'radeon') and you should have all the
functionality. For anything newer the functionality moved from the Xorg
driver to kernel. So for OpenIndiana to have AMD GFX support, we would
have to port the Linux code the way it was done with the Intel driver.
Otherwise you have to stick with 'vesa' driver.

Michal