[OpenIndiana-discuss] AMD graphics for OI?

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 04:44:50 UTC 2018

 Till mentions:
Unless somebody sneakily started a porting effort."

See: https://www.illumos.org/issues/8069
I ported the AMDGPU driver a few years ago. The main AMDGPU-Pro components are closed source.

So, no support otherwise...

~K

    On Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 11:42:07 AM PDT, <srvr_mnk at srvr-tmpl.ikhider.com> wrote:

 How does one fire up the VESA driver?

Would ATI/AMD contribute to provide some kind of drivers if asked?

There are two drivers for AMD (that I am aware of) MESA and AMD GPU PRO.
The latter is needed for video production on Linux. MESA is not enough,
and may be okay for gaming, but not video production. I have not managed
to get AMD GPU PRO to work even though there are instructions on the AMD
site. It is buggy and difficult. People on forums have tried to work
through solutions but the consensus is that AMD needs to get their act
together.

That said, perhaps there may be more luck (down the road) with AMD GPU
PRO than MESA?

SM