[OpenIndiana-discuss] lightdm fails!

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri May 4 16:17:52 UTC 2018

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] lightdm fails!, Apostolos...:

> In order to try to understand what is possible wrong, I tried to run lightdm in my porevious BE
> that contained thed November 2017 bits.

lightdm is working fine on my system.  I last updated a couple weeks ago,
so it was current as of mid-April, 2018.

When I did the switch from parts-of-gnome with gdm to only MATE with
lightdm, I followed the advice of others that had already been through
that process:

 	sudo svcadm disable gdm
 	sudo svcadm enable lightdm

To ensure lightdm started correctly on boot, I then rebooted.  That
was all it took for me to get a working lightdm.

Regarding the log messages you're seeing...

> When I enter the following command a black screen pops up
> that disappears immediately and I see some messages on the terminal:
>
> $ /usr/sbin/lightdm --test-mode debug
>
> ** (lightdm:1009): WARNING **: Failed to get list of logind seats: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files
>
> ** (lightdm:1009): WARNING **: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files

I see messages of this type every time lightdm is restarted, so they
appear to be "normal" for lightdm on OI.

They get logged to the svc log file for lightdm, which you can locate in
the output of 'svcs -l lightdm'.

> ** (lightdm:1009): WARNING **: Could not enumerate user data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data: Permission denied

That's happening because you're running the test as a normal user.

> lightdm: Got tty: '/dev/dtlocal'

Your tty name looks weird, but considering how you're running the test,
that may not be relevant.

> ** (process:1013): WARNING **: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
>
> ** (lightdm:1009): WARNING **: Could not create user data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/apostolo: Error creating directory: Permission denied

That's again because you're running the test as yourself.  Once you've
been able to successfully login (once) with lightdm, it will auto-create
that directory with correct permissions.

> $ root at adalind:/var/lib# ls -l
> total 21
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root           3 Απρ 21  2016 dbus
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     sys            3 Νοε  1  2016 freeipmi
> drwxrwx--T  13 root     gdm           15 Δεκ 28  1986 gdm
> drwxrwx--T   4 root     lightdm        5 Μαΐ  4 18:32 lightdm-data
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin            2 Ιαν 22  2017 smartmontools

Permissions on /var/lib/lightdm-data match my working install:

$ ls -ald /var/lib/lightdm-data
drwxrwx--T   5 root     lightdm        6 Apr 17 15:27 /var/lib/lightdm-data

> Note that when I tried to run as root the command above it worked...

Try this in your current BE (not some old BE):

1) truncate the contents of the svc log file for lightdm.  You can get its
location with

 	svcs -l lightdm | egrep logfile

2) once that file is empty, make certain that lightdm is enabled and gdm is
disabled.

3) reboot.

4) if lightdm does not correctly start up, include the contents of the log
file in a message to the list.

Hopefully there will be something obvious in the log file from a standard
startup of lightdm.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)