[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the status of UEFI boot support?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 16:45:32 UTC 2018

Would you mind documenting what you did on the wiki?  I'm sure it would be useful to many otehrs.

On Mon, 5/7/18, zeitraffer <zraffer at gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the status of UEFI boot support?
 To: "Alexander Pyhalov" <alp at rsu.ru>
 Cc: "Discussion list for OpenIndiana" <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
 Date: Monday, May 7, 2018, 11:19 AM

 Copying just loader.efi and
 running it from EFI Shell says "Illumos...(a
 few lines)... start not found" and shows
 "ok" prompt. But copying the whole
 /boot/* and running boot1.efi works fine. Thank
 you.

 On Mon, 7 May 2018 at 10:45
 Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru>
 wrote:

 > On 05/05/18
 12:10 PM, zeitraffer wrote:

 Hello!
 > > The current documentation
 does not claim that current OI supports UEFI,
 > but
 > > I see that
 the current live disk can boot in UEFI.

 > I have tried to boot it into UEFI and to make install
 by the text
 > installer
 > > onto the GPT drive.
 > > After installation I have seen 3
 partitions, but the boot one is not of

 FAT
 > > type, so UEFI cannot boot from
 it.
 > > What am I doing wrong? Does OI
 support UEFI currently?

 > Hello.
 > UEFI boot
 support is not finished. OI can boot in UEFI mode, but
 > a) illumos-gate currently lacks support of
 UEFI vga console (so you are
 > limited to
 serial console and X11)
 > b) installation
 images currently can boot in UEFI mode, but installer
 > doesn't perform all steps to create
 correct UEFI image. You'll have to

 manually create pcfs on EFI system partition and copy
 /boot/loader.efi
 /efi/boot/bootx64.efi on system partition.

 > --
 > Best regards,

 Alexander Pyhalov,
 > system administrator
 of Southern Federal University IT department