[OpenIndiana-discuss] An installation report and a few questions from a Solaris neophyte.

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Tue May 8 09:36:29 UTC 2018

Hello Lazarus and welcome.

On 05/08/2018 06:17 AM, Lazarus Long wrote:
>   Greetings,
>
> First off, thanks for making OI.
>
> I have successfully installed Hipster 18.04 on my home serve, a Xeon D-1520
> with 32GB RAM, 4x1TB HDD in raidz and dual 1Gb Intel NICs (It's an ASROCK
> D1520D4I motherboard, just for the record).  I also have an Nvidia
> GTX750-ti card in the PCI-e slot.  The only hardware in the system that
> doesn't have a working driver is the Intel Management Engine.  Since this
> is a home server, I never use it anyway.

You may want to share your experience with various HW components on
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Community+HCL. Guys here on ml or IRC
can create an wiki account for you.

>    In order to install the operating
> system I had use the text installer via the LiveUSB image because the
> TextInstaller image flooded the console with kernel messages like these:
>
> in.ndpd[574]: [ID 302683 daemon.error] incoming_ra: SIOCSLIFLNKINFO
> (interface igb0): Invalid argument
> in.ndpd[574]: [ID 102006 daemon.error] prefix_update_k(igb0, igb0:6, ::/64)
> from  to ONLINK  name is already allocated
>
> This meant that the text installer was scrolling off the screen faster than
> I could read and respond to it.  Having to download the installer twice was
> a minor thing for my part, but might mean that the project is spending more
> on bandwidth than it needs to so I thought I should bring it up.  I had
> read a bit before trying the install and I knew that I wouldn't be able to
> install OI onto striped mirrors (raid10) like *BSD so I chose raidz
> instead.  I had to reboot and restart the the installation once because I
> had created the zpool manually, but when I tried to install to an existing
> zpool the installer didn't prompt me to create a user account.  I can see
> the logic behind this if one is upgrading or recovering an existing
> system.  Anyway, the text installer had trouble overwriting the zfs info I
> had added to my disks and when I rebooted the OI bootloader couldn't mount
> the zpool.  Knowing that this was above my pay grade I just installed again.
>
> After the install:
>
> The MATE desktop looks and acts almost just like Linux.  There were a few
> cosmetic glitches when changing themes, but logging out and back in
> resolved them.
>
> The messages from ndp are still coming fast and furious but I am closer to
> finding out how to disable them.  I am currently reading about man pages
> about service management and trying to do my homework before I make any
> changes.
>
> The sshd daemon works great out the box and I was able to return my server
> to it's normal headless state.  So now a few questions:
>
> Is there a preferred VNC server I should install or will ssh be "good
> enough" for remote administration of the system?
>
> When I do 'pkg search libvirt' and 'pkg search virt-manager' I can see:
>
> pkg.fmri   set    openindiana.org/system/library/libvirt
> pkg:/system/library/libvirt at 0.5.11-2015.0.2.0
>
> and
>
> pkg.fmri   set    openindiana.org/desktop/virt-manager
> pkg:/desktop/virt-manager at 0.6.1-2015.0.2.0
>
> However I think that these are pkg categories since I can't install them.
> Are there other packages I should be searching for in order to get libvirt
> up and running for remote KVM management or will I have to do everything
> via command line?

Perhaps KVMadm from SFE repo is what you are looking for:

http://sfe.opencsw.org/quickrepolinks
http://sfe.opencsw.org/localhostoih/en/search.shtml?token=kvmadm&action=Search
https://github.com/hadfl/KVMadm/blob/master/README.md

Though, I haven't tried that myself.