[OpenIndiana-discuss] An installation report and a few questions from a Solaris neophyte.

Lazarus Long lazlo.the.seventh at gmail.com
Sat May 12 17:32:12 UTC 2018

Thanks to everyone for your replies to my message.  I can figure out how to
add my information to the wiki if someone will create an account for me.
Just point me in the right direction.

It's been a busy week.  The issue with ndp filling up the kernel was not
fixed.  I just disabled the ndp service.  The way I see it is that if
anything depends on it in the future I'll trouble shoot it then but for now
I have more important things to learn about. I have been learning about
zones, networking configuration, service management, a bit about user
accounts, and a smattering of other things.  I have created a vnic,
configured a zone and installed a zone with an exclusive ip stack set up
for dhcp, configured the DNS (although I don't why I had to create
resolv.conf:  dhcp should take of that), installed tmux, the UTF-8 locale,
openjdk8, and now it's a minecraft server on my LAN.  I have got to say
that it was more work than I expected since the zone install is the very
definition of minimalism.  It took a few tries to get it right, but I have
a much better understanding of what I don't know yet just from setting up a
small zone.  Thank goodness for wikis and mailing list archives.  One thing
that didn't work was the zone-proxy-cache from the wiki article.  I think
it may be missing a step but once I stopped trying to use it things
progressed much faster.

My current TODO list, in no particular order:

{([ I still need to turn on m firewall but I don't want to lock myself out
of the system when I do it ;-)  For now the server is two routers (and
their firewalls) away from the internet but I want move it back to being
the main gateway for my LAN.

I need to set up the VNC server and try it out.  I might even keep it
running for a few days.

I need to learn more about RBAC, roles, pfexec, etc. so my user account can
be plugged into them so I can stop using sudo for everything.

Getting KVM working is still on the list but I have time before I really
need it for anything.  The lack of familiar tools will slow me down a bit
anyway so I don't want to rush and make a mess of my system.

Investigating 2FA options for my ssh connection once I am ready to move it
back to the gateway role.  Where's the fun in remote access if you only do
it through 10 meters of cat6?

Learn more about IPv6 and the OI networking tools (so I can get to the
bottom of the ndp issue) and test and deploy:  routing, a dhcp server, and
a local DNS server on the system.

Maybe install and use an irc client.

Learn more about SMF.  Things like it's tools and how the layers of
services are structured.

Learn more about pkg.  Things like it's tools and how the layers of
packages are structured.])}

And that's just a few days worth of what I know-that-I-don't-know.  Imagine
what I'll know-that-I-don't-know in 6 months or a year!  Anyway, I should
get back some food and get back at it.  If anyone has advice about common
pitfalls or if your years of experience tell you that I really need to
prioritize or add something to my list please feel free to mention it.