[OpenIndiana-discuss] mkvmerge fails

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed May 23 15:46:43 UTC 2018

On 05/23/18 08:28 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> I have no idea what this KTPI thing does but it certainly has
> made my life more difficult. How can I deactivate it?

KPTI protects you from Meltdown attacks, which could be run as Javascript
in your web browser if you visit a site that embeds ads from an ad network
that doesn't have a thorough security review process for all Javascript
that they serve (i.e. basically any ad network out there, because that sort
of security costs lots of money and provides them no benefit).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_page-table_isolation and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltdown_(security_vulnerability)
have more in-depth explanations.

https://omniosce.org/info/kpti documents how to disable for OmniOS - I'd