[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Hipster live DVD and USB won't boot all the way

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Mon Oct 22 14:57:36 UTC 2018

On 22/10/2018 14:27, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:54 AM Alexander Pyhalov via openindiana-discuss <
> openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> As far as I can see
>> https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/rmustacc/public/webrevs/acpi/full/index.html
>> still misses reviewers . So it will not be in 2018.10 iso unless it will be
>> somehow integrated this week.
>>

> I know about the "vanilla" policy but perhaps we should considerate adding
> the ACPI patches before the snapshot considering that they have been in
> SmartOS and OmniOS for some time (also in the gcc-next repository).
> Otherwise people will not be able to run the images at all on some
> hardware...
> Also I can already imagine the headlines on Phoronix "Cannot run
> OpenIndiana for the 3rd snapshot in a row and it sucks" and the usually
> bashing happening.

Just for understanding: If people switch off ACPI on boot, they
won't hit the problem ? If so, that workaround for newer hardware
should be mentioned in the release notes (although the Phoronix
guy will certainly not read them...).
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php