[OpenIndiana-discuss] SOLVED: MATE 1.20 and updated GTK+3 for hipster

Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Oct 23 14:12:29 UTC 2018

On 10/23/18 15:58, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 23/10/2018 15:44, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:

>>> For what I see from the 2483 time-sliderd truss output, it does the
>>> following for each /etc/X11/fontpath.d/*/ directory:
>>> Could it be that the change of the modification time (2) from 2483
>>> triggers the reread by 2484 (mate-settings-daemon) ?
>>
>> So, font cache fails to "recognize" fonts, and just keeps system busy
>> with creating cache, over and over.
>> How to solve that situation?
>>

> Just to check that theory: Could you run the problematic BE and
> switch off the time-sliderd ? After settling down, the caches
> shouldn't be refreshed anymore if that assumption is correct.
>
> Otherwise, maybe the frequency of directory checking is just too
> high, given the vast amount of directories to check, which takes
> a considerable amount of time ?

Hi again!

First, I want to say big "thank you" to Dr. Udo Grabowski and Michal Nowak!

Problem was related to directory permission and fonts cache:

$ ls -hlad /beadm/var/cache/fontconfig/ /var/cache/fontconfig/
drwxr-xr-x 2 predrag_zecevic admin 119K Oct 23 13:36
/beadm/var/cache/fontconfig/
drwxr-xr-x 2 predrag_zecevic admin  410 Oct 23 13:39 /var/cache/fontconfig/

$ pkg search /var/cache/fontconfig
INDEX      ACTION VALUE                PACKAGE
path       dir    var/cache/fontconfig
pkg:/system/library/fontconfig at 2.13.1-2018.0.0.1

$ pkg fix pkg:/system/library/fontconfig
               Packages to fix:   1
       Create boot environment:  No
Create backup boot environment: Yes

Repairing:
pkg://openindiana.org/system/library/fontconfig@2.12.4,5.11-2018.0.0.0:20180211T124718Z
PACKAGE
STATUS
pkg://openindiana.org/system/library/fontconfig
ERROR
        dir: var/cache/fontconfig
                ERROR: Owner: 'predrag_zecevic (2903)' should be 'root (0)'
                ERROR: Group: 'admin (1961)' should be 'bin (2)'

$ pkg -R /beadm fix pkg:/system/library/fontconfig
Packages to fix: 1

Repairing:
pkg://openindiana.org/system/library/fontconfig@2.13.1,5.11-2018.0.0.1:20181014T201419Z
PACKAGE
STATUS
pkg://openindiana.org/system/library/fontconfig
ERROR
        dir: var/cache/fontconfig
                ERROR: Owner: 'predrag_zecevic (2903)' should be 'root (0)'
                ERROR: Group: 'admin (1961)' should be 'bin (2)'

Do not ask me how my account had become owner of /var/cache/fontconfig
(and when)...

After actions from above, I have deleted all files from
/beadm/var/cache/fontconfig, unmounted BE and booted into it.

Everything went back to normal (I am writing this from BE oi_181018 now) :-)

Content of /var/cache/fontconfig changes (grows) when I start new
application, but that it is (as I have deleted all files before boot
into BE)...

Hints were OK ... Maybe package pkg:/system/library/fontconfig should
check for permissions (at least on upgrade - no idea - so people do not
waste time on such mistakes).

One more time, big thanks to everybody...

With best regards.
Predrag Zečević
--
Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 87, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!