[OpenIndiana-discuss] MATE 1.20 and updated GTK+3 for hipster (part II)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Oct 30 15:28:31 UTC 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:

>> P.S: During this e-mail writing, number of file grew further:
>> $ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
>> 526905
>>
> man fam:
> DESCRIPTION
>       FAM, the File Alteration Monitor, is a subsystem that applications can
>       use to be notified when specific files or directories are changed.  It
>       is intended as a replacement for mechanisms such as poll and select.
>
> So indeed that potentially can have something to do with your
> problem if the process polluting your cache wants the FAM service
> and doesn't get it and then falls back to something insane.

Recent illumos has added Linux compatibility functions to support LX
Zone functionality and these compatibility functions might be picked
up and used by accident by software which targets Linux.  I don't know
if there is an emulation of inotify(7) but it seems like something
important to emulate for LX Zones.

Regardless, the Dtrace Toolkit provides scripts (opensnoop and
iosnoop) which allows observing all I/O activity on the system and so
it should quickly reveal the offender.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn