[OpenIndiana-discuss] MATE 1.20 and updated GTK+3 for hipster (part II)

Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Tue Oct 30 15:34:30 UTC 2018

On 10/30/18 16:14, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 30/10/2018 15:38, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to start new discussion (old one is "MATE 1.20 and
>> updated GTK+3
>> for hipster"), because I still have weird problem, and not sure where
>> to report
>> it or look further...
>>
>> It does not matter IF i have *fc-cache* enabled or disabled, something is
>> filling in /var/cache/fontconfig directory. Right now:
>>
>> $ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
>> 519307
>>
>> $ du -shc /var/cache/fontconfig/
>> 603M    /var/cache/fontconfig/
>>
>> Number of files grows (some commands are failing to list content,
>> because it is
>> long list) more IF I am logged in, otherwise (like during weekend, it has
>> stagnated: 168000 entries of size ~ 160MB)
>>
>> Last Friday, I did issued "pfexec pkg fix" which should fix broken
>> packages (it
>> has reported several font directories were fixed ownership to sys group).
>>
>> After that I have just emptied that directory ...
>> Good news is that I have no more high load, but still this growing
>> structure.
>>
>> Tried several dtrace scripts, but no single one shows PID <--> FILE
>> relation
>> (most of them expect PID as parameter, but I have no idea which
>> process is
>> creating files). All I see files are constantly created...
>>
>> And, also found this (fills in ~/.xsession-errors file):
>>
>> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-predrag_zecevic/fam-
>> end from FAM server connection
>>
>> I have found that FAM thing is related to /usr/lib/amd64/gam_server -
>> but cannot
>> imagine it is related to /fontconfig issue.
>>
>> Is it possible that only me is facing this?
>> If yes, how to find which change (I might made in past on OI - since
>> move to
>> /hipster) on my system is causing this?
>>
>> Many thinks for even reading this.
>>
>> With best regards.
>> Predrag Zečević
>>
>> P.S: During this e-mail writing, number of file grew further:
>> $ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
>> 526905
>>
> man fam:
> DESCRIPTION
>         FAM, the File Alteration Monitor, is a subsystem that
> applications can
>         use to be notified when specific files or directories are
> changed.  It
>         is intended as a replacement for mechanisms such as poll and
> select.
>
> So indeed that potentially can have something to do with your
> problem if the process polluting your cache wants the FAM service
> and doesn't get it and then falls back to something insane.
>
> And there's still the bug addressed here:
> <https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/fontconfig/fontconfig/commits/master>
> but seemingly not appliying to your case when fc-cache is switched off.

> [...]

Hi,

It is not time-slider:

$ svcs -a | grep time-slider
disabled       Oct_25   svc:/application/time-slider/plugin:rsync
disabled       Oct_25   svc:/application/time-slider/plugin:zfs-send
disabled       16:24:29 svc:/application/time-slider:default
$ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
545989
$ sleep 600
$ find /var/cache/fontconfig/ -type f | wc -l
548146

Thanks anyway.
Wil check other suggestions.

With best regards.
Predrag Zečević
--
Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst

tel: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 15
mob: +49 - 174 - 3109288
fax: +49 - 6196 - 95058 - 94
e-mail: predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

headquarter: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 87, 65812 Bad Soden am
Taunus, Germany
registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
managing director: Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!