[OpenIndiana-discuss] compile package

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Sep 11 22:11:56 UTC 2018

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] compile package, Francis.D said (at...:

> I'm going to install an IO on a dedicated desktop. I noticed that there is
> a lot of library missing to compile packages. By using sources.
> I have tested some applications but there is still a library missing or the
> version is too old.

What version of OpenIndiana were you working with?

I've done a lot of compilation, including stuff for a graphical desktop
environment, on OI.  I've found that depending on how your system was
installed, it's possible that a lot of the development-related stuff
didn't get installed.

You may want to consider doing a

 	sudo pkg install build-essential

That's a "meta package" that will pull in a lot of build-related packages.
I've found that for some of the stuff I've built, I've needed other
packages that weren't included by build-essential, but build-essential
covers a lot.

Note that because of the way OI is packaged, you may need to do a "sudo
pkg update" before being able to install 'build-essential' (yes, there
are ways around that, but start with the simple case).  'pkg update'
updates everything, including the kernel.  Be sure you're ready for that.

Reading the man page for 'pkg' and focusing on 'pkg search' and the
'-r' flag will help you get started "finding things".

Also, for libraries that have licenses that are atypical OR that have
algorithms that may be restricted in some countries, you may be able
to find those in a separate repository that is not configured by default.
I'm talking about 'hipster-encumbered'.  You'll want to do some reading
on the wiki and/or the mailing list archives for this list to learn more
about hipster-encumbered and setting up additional repositories.  Again
the 'pkg' man page will have useful information.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)