[OpenIndiana-discuss] NTP not starting in Zones

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Sep 13 18:18:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, Jonathan Adams wrote:

> strange, I prefer to run all my daemons in a zone as it keeps them separate
> from the core operating system, and reduces the access to resources.
>
> it's easy for a global zone to access the resources of the child, it's hard
> for the child to access the global zone.

The host (global zone) is booted prior to the zone and so it can not
use the services of the zone until the zone is booted.  If the DNS
server is running in the zone then some other means needs to be used
for hostname/IP resolution while it is down.  The zone is typically
down while booting and during system updates.

I don't see how this could be considered "strange".

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn