[OpenIndiana-discuss] NTP not starting in Zones

Brian Wilson bw at reclo.com
Mon Sep 17 17:24:36 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Jonathan Adams <t12nslookup at gmail.com>
wrote:

> strange, I prefer to run all my daemons in a zone as it keeps them separate
> from the core operating system, and reduces the access to resources.
>
> it's easy for a global zone to access the resources of the child, it's hard
> for the child to access the global zone.

Unless you give the child zone the privileges it needs to do so - like
sys_time.  Though I don't know that that one's a big deal.
I would take the opposite approach - lock down logins to the global zone
and run privileged 'global' services like NTP, monitoring, backups and/or
NFS there, and then keep the child/local zones as thin as possible so that
the processes running in the zone that faced the Internet were minimal.