[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sun Rays might just be back on modern OI

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Feb 3 10:54:37 UTC 2019

Thanks to the burst of activity, enthusiasm and cooperation related to FOSDEM'19, Agnar reported success tweaking configs enough to run the Sun Ray software on OpenIndiana Hipster, although his setup used just one terminal with fixed addresses, since the manageable Sun DHCP server software is no longer in the gate.

Some pertaining discussions logged here:
* https://echelog.com/logs/browse/oi-dev/1548370800
* https://echelog.com/logs/browse/oi-dev/1548457200
* https://echelog.com/logs/browse/oi-dev/1548630000
* https://echelog.com/logs/browse/oi-dev/1548716400

And on my side, I dug into why that venerable piece of software, the Sun DHCP server which I've actually used and liked, just up and died in illumos-gate some years back (ultimately leading to its removal), and what can be done about it.

Thanks to andyf I revived the SUNWdhcpd for the setup I maintain and had to recently update to modern OI releases, see http://www.jimklimov.com/2019/02/long-live-sunwdhcpd.html for details and caveats, and https://github.com/jimklimov/illumos-gate/tree/revive-SUNWdhcpd for equivalent codebase fix :)

So now we've basically proven that today's OpenIndiana Hipster can run the full stack of Sun DHCP and SRSS (though not quite out of the box yet). I gather that a number of universities still run their terminals, apparently on old Solaris releases, and now they can get a good decade of updates to those systems by moving to OI :)

So, what's needed to make this happen?
* Document, if not automate, what needs to be set up between OI (X11, WM) and SRSS server.
* Provide fixed SUNWdhcp* packages. I posted the illumos-gate with reverted removal of dhcp server on github and details of the adventure on my blog linked above, but this is not likely to merge back into gate (unmaintained code few people use and test, java tools for management... many no-no's here). I would love if someone picked up from here and made sense of those almost 500 fully removed and revived standalone files (sources and Makefiles) to turn them into a standalone buildable source code base. While there was some revived merge back into common (Make)files of illumos-gate, that impact was minimal. This way distros can package it without "re-contaminating" the common gate, like just any other component.

Cheers, and thanks to all involved,
Jim Klimov

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android