[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to use install / load and use Wi-Fi firmware?

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 09:51:15 UTC 2019

On 17.1.19. 07:28, Michal Nowak wrote:
> On 01/17/19 07:05 AM, fgg at tuta.io wrote:
>>
>> I want to use my Wi-Fi card. I didn’t find OI documentationabout “how
>> to work with Wi-Fi”.
>>
>> For example, I havea Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 802.11n Wireless
>> Network Adapter. I thinkthat the “urtwn” firmware should work for it.
> specifically which model you have? You can find out via `ddu` or
> `prtconf -v`.
>
> Though, looking at illumos HCL (http://illumos.org/hcl/) it seems that
> from the RTL81XX family (judging by the FreeBSD 'urtwn' driver you
> mentioned), only RTL8180L 802.11b is supported.
>
> Firmware is delivered alongside the kernel driver and loaded
> automatically.

Maybe start a bounty for porting device driver? (Beside looking at the
HCL first)

Moreover it would be worth taking look if 'Solaris' drivers are available
or the free software licensed driver for the same hardware on Linux and
BSDs (if it is there, porting driver is more doable instead of writing a
new one).

Btw, illumos wireless (WiFi) still does not support connecting over WPA2
connections (https://www.illumos.org/issues/4362 , not related to the
driver).