[OpenIndiana-discuss] problem installing 201904 using USB image from a windows PC

pulaskite at yahoo.com pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 15:46:32 UTC 2019

FWIW I installed the 2019.04 release from USB last week. It *must* be copied to the bare device, not to a disk partition. e.g. /dev/dsk/c3t0d0p0, *not* /dev/dsk/c3t0d0p0:c.

The machine was an 8 core Dell with nVidia graphics. I was unable to get Debian 9.3 to work with the nVidia drivers because of an unending chain of dependencies. After spending about 12 hours on Debian, I installed 2019.04 without any difficulty other than identifying how to properly install the image on the USB drive. I copied the image using openSUSE.

BTW the ISO will *not* fit on a 4 GB drive, so I had to buy a 16 GB drive. The wiki instructions should be changed to reflect that.

Reg