[OpenIndiana-discuss] [HEADS UP] Apache 2.4 is 64-bit-only now

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Sun Mar 3 14:12:21 UTC 2019

On 03/01/19 04:30 PM, Alexander Pyhalov via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> Hi.
>
> With merge of PR #4800 Apache 2.4 has become 64-bit-only.
> This is a big breaking change, because we’ve reworked Apache directory layout and configuration to facilitate IPS switch to Python 3.5.
> Python 3.5 is 64-bit-only, and we had an unpleasant choice either rewrite depot and sysrepo configuration to always use 64-bit Apache version or make Apache 2.4 64-bit-only.
> Also to avoid ugliness which was necessary to allow users transparently switch from 32-bit or 64-bit version with existing configs to new 64-bit only version and possible incompatibilities, we decided to break current Apache 2.4 installations on upgrade, so that administrators could immediately see the issue.
>
> Now you know, your apache server is broken. What should you do?
>
> -  Don’t panic.
> -   Read apache24(1m).
> -    If you’ve changed /etc/apache2/2.4/httpd.conf, /etc/apache2/2.4/httpd.conf.new will contain new version necessary for updated Apache2.4 to work correctly. So, merge two files manually, preserving your local changes. As you can see, /etc/apache2/2.4/conf.d/modules-*.load files have gone, and you have to include LoadModule directives either in /etc/apache2/2.4/conf.d/*.conf files or in /etc/apache2/2.4/httpd.conf directly
> -    mpm_event module is used by default (if you don’t overwrite it in svc:/network/http:apache24 instance httpd/MPM property). So, fix your configuration files to avoid relying on IfModule prefork.c.
> -    64bit is not set now, so fix configuration files relying on it
>
> Happy updating!
>
> Best regards,
> Alexander Pyhalov,
> system administrator of Southern Federal University IT department

Hi,

after update svc:/application/pkg/system-repository:default service in
GZ fails with:

svc:/application/pkg/system-repository:default (IPS System Repository)
  State: maintenance since March  3, 2019 at 03:01:53 PM CET
Reason: Start method exited with $SMF_EXIT_ERR_FATAL.
    See: http://illumos.org/msg/SMF-8000-KS
    See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M pkg.sysrepo
    See: /var/svc/log/application-pkg-system-repository:default.log
Impact: 1 dependent service is not running:
         svc:/application/pkg/zones-proxyd:default

This is /var/svc/log/application-pkg-system-repository:default.log:

[ Mar  3 15:04:01 Leaving maintenance because clear requested. ]
[ Mar  3 15:04:01 Enabled. ]
[ Mar  3 15:04:01 Executing start method
("/lib/svc/method/svc-pkg-sysrepo start"). ]
AH00534: httpd: Configuration error: No MPM loaded.
Server failed to start. Check the SMF service log or the error log at
/var/log/pkg/sysrepo/error_log for more information, if any.
[ Mar  3 15:04:02 Method "start" exited with status 95. ]

My httpd.conf is the default one. I even added

   LoadModule mpm_event_module libexec/mod_mpm_event.so

there and copied sample mpm.conf to /etc/apache2/2.4/conf.d/. But no luck.

Because of this my build zone does not have access to publishers.

Michal