[OpenIndiana-discuss] No GUI after upgrade yesterday

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 4 22:58:02 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 10:17:46AM +0100, Till Wegmüller wrote:

> On 04.03.19 03:05, Gary Mills wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that's my problem now.  I know I can make the partition bootable,
> > but I'd prefer to chain-load it somehow.  It used to work with GRUB.
>
> While I don't have a setup that works I also don't want to leave you
> researching everything from point 0.
>
> We switched to FreeBSD loader since the last time you upgraded. We
> follow Upstream quite tightly so anything that works on freebsd should
> work with OI.

It's pretty simple once you figure it out.  I have Windows installed
on the first FDISK partition of the boot disk.  illumos is on the
second partition.  That is the active partition and boots by default.

All I had to do was to edit /boot/loader.conf to add this line:

    chain_disk="disk0s1:"

The trailing colon is required.  That file contains environment
variables that are used by the loader.  Once I'd added that line, a
new loader menu item appeared that, when selected, allowed me to boot
Windows.