[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hypervisor support

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Mar 13 13:17:54 UTC 2019

On March 13, 2019 6:10:45 AM UTC, Tony Brian Albers <tba at kb.dk> wrote:
>Thanks everyone,
>
>I'm off to installing OI on some hardware now(been running it as a vm
>for a long time).
>
>/tony
>

>On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 20:49 +0100, Till Wegmüller wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> We have both Virtualbox and KVM packaged on OI. Virtualbox as the GUI
>> and Desktop Solution with Management GUI and KVM as headless Server
>> VM
>> Manager. We also have a zone brand kvm which manages starting KVM
>> inside
>> a dedicated Zone for better protection and resource control. It also
>> manages to invoke Qemu/KVM in a way to expose VNC via socket.
>>
>> You can see the dokumentation from our friends over in the OmiOSCE
>> Community which originally wrote the zone brand. [0]
>>
>> [0] https://omniosce.org/info/bhyve_kvm_brand.html
>>
>> Greetings
>> Till
>>
>> On 12.03.19 10:20, Predrag Zečević - Technical Support Analyst wrote:
>> > Hi Tony,

>> > Yes, I have used both (but not simultaneously). Right now VBox is
>> > in use:
>> >
>> > :; pkg list virtualbox
>> > NAME (PUBLISHER)                                  VERSION     IFO
>> > system/virtualbox                                 5.2.24-2018.0.0.0
>
>> >     i--
>> >
>> > KVM/Qemu is also available:
>> > :; pkg search -r qemu
>> > pkg:/system/qemu/kvm at 0.0.1.20160303-2018.0.0.2
>> >
>> > If "on OI" means that...

>> > I guess, there is NO virt-manager available

>> > Depends what "graphical console access" means to you...
>> >
>> > If you start Unix like guest, you can do sort of graphical accesses
>> > (VNC
>> > for example is available in both VBox and KVM; or ssh + Xserver,
>> > etc...)
>> > Also, Windows boot is possible.

>> > HTH,
>> >
>> > With best regards.

Also FWIW I've just recently cut a long-overdue release 0.18 of http://vboxsvc.sf.net/ aka https://github.com/jimklimov/vboxsvc/ now. It is a package for wrapping individual virtual boxes as SMF instances and optionally adding regular health checks for services running inside (so frozen VMs can be rebooted automagically), among other features and a kitchen sink.

It works with Sun/Oracle builds (from legacy 3.x up till version 5.0.x, can't install later on illumos systems out of the box nor with minor chiseling) and with 5.2.24 package built and provided in OI "natively".

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android