[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hypervisor support

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Mar 13 21:13:19 UTC 2019

On March 13, 2019 7:30:13 PM UTC, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:

>On 2019-03-13 6:17 a.m., Jim Klimov wrote:
>>
>> Also FWIW I've just recently cut a long-overdue release 0.18 of
>http://vboxsvc.sf.net/ aka https://github.com/jimklimov/vboxsvc/ now.
>It is a package for wrapping individual virtual boxes as SMF instances
>and optionally adding regular health checks for services running inside
>(so frozen VMs can be rebooted automagically), among other features and
>a kitchen sink.
>>
>> It works with Sun/Oracle builds (from legacy 3.x up till version
>5.0.x, can't install later on illumos systems out of the box nor with
>minor chiseling) and with 5.2.24 package built and provided in OI
>"natively".
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Jim Klimov
>>

>Hi Jim.
>
>I have been running the old releases for quite some time and it works
>well.
>
>What new feature/fixes does the new release have?   or it is just
>moving
>the project to github.
>
>thanks,
>
>Geoff

After 4 years of it being perfect so the code was not touched, it is hard to remember really :)

Would have to compare releases or dig cvs/svn histories to say better. There is a list in the README and for 0.18 changes in 2015 it is mostly small stuff, so it took years to be worth a release. Quite a few features came in 0.17 and earlier.

One thing that brought me back to updating it recently, was figuring out why my remote desktop VM with a tendency to freeze was not powercycled despite status monitoring - and I found that by typo I asked for too many failures in a row to be diagnozed and happen it too short a timeframe to ever fire. So now the script tests for sanity of this setup and warns (in service log) if you ask for impossible ;)

Hope this helps,
Jim Klimov

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android