[OpenIndiana-discuss] HTML5 playback

epektasis rptnix at amerytel.net
Sun Sep 1 19:04:33 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 01, 2019 at 05:53:47PM +0100, Chris Game wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've tried to get OI playing Youtube videos without much success,
> and would appreciate some suggestions. This is a VirtualBox image
> running on Windows,with a standard OI install updated today. The
> html5test.com site shows no support for H264 codec, although Firefox
> 60 should have such support? I've tried adding various
> gstreamer/gstreamer1 plugins, and I tried installing the ffmpeg
> package, all with no result. The best I've had is with video
> running but with no audio, Something seems to be missing in the
> system but I've no real clue as to what that might be.

You could try running firefox with apulse (e.g., $apulse firefox) to see
if that gives you the sound you are missing.  Or use smtube, if
available, instead of firefox.  I haven't tried either of these on OI
but had to use them on linux not too many months ago.  Best wishes for
ever-continuing growth!