[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI new user questions

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 17:57:56 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 4:02 PM Kalle Anka via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> I am a long time Solaris user that tried out Linux for a couple of years,
> namely Ubuntu LTS. Alas, the Ubuntu updates caused numerous problems, in
> some cases causing a reinstall. At the end I switched to Ubuntu 2020.10
> hoping it would be more stable. It was not.
>
> Another problem is that OpenZFS v0.8.4 renders Solaris 11.3 disks
> unusable. Try this:
> -Create a ZFS disk in Solaris 11.3 (using zpool version 28, and zfs
> version 5)
> -Import the disk into Ubuntu 2020.10 using OpenZFS v0.8.4
> -Copy data to the zpool using Linux zfs send recv
> -Import the zpool back into Solaris 11.3 - This will fail. Solaris says
> the disk is UNAVAIL and I need to use a backup to restore data.
> So if you use OpenZFS to import a zpool, chances are you cannot import the
> disk back into Solaris.

As I recall, this is because ZFS embeds the labels of the devices used into
the pool,
so you have to allow for them being in an alternate format. I can't recall
offhand
whether we fixed that in illumos.

> 2) Does OI support Sunray? (Solaris 11.4 does not support Sunray)

Several people have got this working successfully - it was even displayed at
the illumos booth at FOSDEM this year.

> 5) I hope there is a mpt sas driver, because there was one in Solaris
> 11.3. Can anyone confirm? I have this LSI2008 SAS card for my JBOD raidz3 I
> would like to use.

Yes.

> 6) Virtualbox, does it work fine on OI? Is it problematic?

You have to use the VirtualBox that comes with OI. The Solaris version
you can download from virtualbox.org is no longer compatible and simply
won't work.

--
-Peter Tribble