[OpenIndiana-discuss] rpool/ROOT where mounted?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Dec 7 14:29:40 UTC 2020

vab at bb-c.de (Volker A. Brandt) writes:

> Hi Harry!
>

>> If you want to create a copy of your entire OS on a remote machine by
>> means of send/recv do you need to send rpool/ROOT?
>
> Typically, you will need to send the entire rpool.  That's what the
> "zfs send -R" command is for.  It replicates everything, including all
> properties you need to make the target system bootable.
>
> If you don't need a bootable copy, there's really no point in copying
> the entire OS over.  If you *really* still want to do that, the easiest
> way to find the dataset of the currently active BE is to do
>
>   "cd / ; df -h ."

Thanks for the tip, although that wasn't really what I was after.
But first let me answer your question "what exactly" I'm trying to
do.

I'm planning A major overhaul of my OI host (an old HP xw8600) One of
my mirrored 2 disk rpool ... went south a while back.  I've been
stumbling along with 1 disk rpool. Now I'm starting to replace both
disks with new ones, expecting to reinstall newest OI, reimport my other pools
and start upgrading on them.  I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing
so started unloading data that I want to keep onto a vbox vm running
OI/hipster on a somewhat spacious windows 10 host.

Hence I'm frolicking around with send/recv.  Trying to learn my way
around as I go. Not trying to create a new bootable host.

There are a couple of somewhat major problem (to me) to deal with too.

1) the hp xw8600 is some what short on sata ports with only 4.
2) The old hardware supposedly wont allow disks over 2 tb

I'm thinking of using sas disks since I'm replacing the data disks
too.

The xw8600 does have (as I recall there are 4 sas ports too) those sas ports
can receive sata connectors and drives.  I'm already using 2 of them.
But then the problem becomes ... where to put the drives.  I have 6 in
there now and would like to have 8. All sas perhaps

I think I can resolve the problems but may need some advice on
hardware. (I'll be posting about some ideas and hardware this week)
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

Back to my `skill challenged' fumbling with send/recv

I don't know how to send a chain of zfs fs all at once like
   rpool/ROOT/BENAME

And I don't understand what `-R' does in conjunction with send.
The section of man zfs:

 zfs send [-DLPRbcehnpvw] [[-I|-i] snapshot] snapshot
 [...]

       -R, --replicate
           Generate a replication stream package, which will replicate the
           specified file system, and all descendent file systems, up to the
           named snapshot.  When received, all properties, snapshots,
           descendent file systems, and clones are preserved.

           If the -i or -I flags are used in conjunction with the -R flag, an
           incremental replication stream is generated.  The current values of
           properties, and current snapshot and file system names are set when
           the stream is received.  If the -F flag is specified when this
           stream is received, snapshots and file systems that do not exist on
           the sending side are destroyed.  If the -R flag is used to send
           encrypted datasets, then -w must also be specified.

... reads a bit dense  But I'm a bit `dense' too in another meaning of `dense'.

I'm not sure what a 'replication stream' is either.

So expected to send it one dir at a time. Of course I need to find
or create a snapshot to use with send/recv.

I ran into the fact that ROOT seems not to have a mount point other
than `legacy' which should mean it can be found in /etc/vfstab. But it
does not appear there.  Not sure where to find or make a snapshot.

I suspect there is some handy way to send `rpool/ROOT/BENAME' all at
once ... but have not found it yet in OI or oracle docs. So plannig to
tinker with the -R flag .. some time tomorrow.

I did manage to get the BENAME sent, so all the bits in there at least
are safely copied onto the VBox vm.
Like so:

zfs send -v rpool/ROOT/openindiana-2020:11:29 at 201130-223635 | \
   ssh oi0 zfs recv -v
      -omountpoint=/red42x/rpool/openindiana-2020:11:29 \
        p1/red42x/rpool/openindiana-2020:11:29

(It was all on one line)