[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI new user questions - 2

Kalle Anka knatte_fnatte_tjatte at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 16:11:53 UTC 2020

 Thanx for your answer! Yes, my mobo might have several USB controllers. I need to check it up. (I read all answers, but do not answer, because I do not want to clutter up the mail lists with lot of "thank you" replys)
However, I can not boot OI usb on my PC. So I think I have to wait until next OI release and see if that one works on my hardware instead of 2020.10. I have to use Solaris 11.3 until then. So I now have two Solaris 11.3 questions instead.
1) I tried to copy files from my Windows NAS to my home directory but it failed. It was a question of time out. Can it be something with write permissions? I can write Solaris data to my NAS and copy it back to another home directory. But i can not write original NAS data to my Solaris home directory. Why? Anyone have a clue?
2) I tried to install Solaris 11.3 packages, such as Firefox, but IPS upgrade does not work. Why is that? Is the 11.3 IPS packages locked down, in favour of 11.4? Anyone knows?
I will check the next OI release. I hope it will work with my hardware, because I really want to migrate to OI! :)
    On Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 01:40:51 AM GMT+1, John D Groenveld <groenveld at acm.org> wrote:

 In message <964006845.3629689.1607454331391 at mail.yahoo.com>, Kalle Anka via ope
nindiana-discuss writes:
> blogs, it seems that Bhyve does support GPU passthrough, but do not support U
>SB passthrough, which means it is problematic to use keyboard and mouse in the

Your existing mainboard might have multiple embedded USB controllers
in which case you could dedicate one for your gamer VM.
Or you could add an additional USB controller.`

> VM. So I want to investigate this more, either OI + Bhyve, or OI + KVM, for G
>PU passthrough and Windows gaming.

Happy hacking,
John
groenveld at acm.org