[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI new user questions - 2

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 10 18:48:37 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 05:54:12PM +0000, Kalle Anka via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> Yes I tried to boot the usb stick both in UEFI and BIOS mode. Both
> fail. In what way? I see some error messages in the dmesg output. I
> have pasted that long dmesg output in a reply here with date: Wed
> Dec 9 20:47:35 UTC 2020, you can read that mail for more
> information. But it seems that X11 does not start. The screen
> flickers thrice and then exits to command line.

OI only works in BIOS mode, although the OI loader works in both.
I was confused by that difference.  So, use BIOS mode.

How far does the boot get?  Do you get the countdown from the loader?
I assume the loader worked but when it attempted to boot openindiana,
X11 failed.  In that case, the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log should tell
you why it failed.  You should be able to log in on the command line
to see that file.  What graphics adapter are you using?