[OpenIndiana-discuss] Merging OI + OmniOS? (And OpenZFS vs ZFS)

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 14:05:43 UTC 2020

This is something that was discussed in the past when OmniOSCE was created
but back then there was a focus on providing continuity of releases and too
few people: the goal for to have a true reference distribution.

Back then Adam and I had suggested to merge the distributions given the
size of our respective communities: use OmniOS as a core OS with their
release schedule and use oi-userland to provide extra packages but there
was no interest.

Tobias suggested to me that OI being an inferior distribution I should
better use my time and provide X11 packages to OmniOS instead. Obviously
his comment did not motivate me much :)

I think merging both makes sense to gain momentum and stopping reinventing
the wheel given the number of developers (us pulling from OmniOS and
Dominik packaging stuff that we already have).

But then it means that there is no illumos distribution actually running
vanilla illumos which is a bit sad.

We've had good interactions on compilers and pkg so that's at least a great
start.

Also this may be an overhead for Andy and he should have a good idea if it
is doable, if this is something that would be positive for him and what
would be the milestones.

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings