[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana vs FreeBSD

rmd rmd at orbit.in-berlin.de
Wed Jul 15 08:52:51 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

just my two cents…
Since I came from the solaris world I do feel more comfortable with OpenIndiana
then FreeBSD, but FreeBSD evolved great as it supports not only ZFS but also
bootenvironments which are quite comfortable for upgrades and changes.
On desktopsystems I use OpenIndiana because of OS stability and network
flexibility and performance, firefox versions is a show stopper.
On backend systems it dpends a bit, OpenIndiana is great because of ZFS, network
and zones. Multicoresupport seems to run better on OpenIndiana than on FreeBSD
FreeBSD is fast and seems to be more memory efficient, has a newer firefox and
supports ZFS and BEs, but jails are not that comfortable as zones. So FreeBSD
as fileserver only in small office environments etc.

In the desktop area, the OpenIndiana standarddesktop slows down performance
and usability, so I simply deconfigure that use a diffrent non gnomish windowmanager

On notebooks and sysems networked via wlan I do prefer FreeBSD because wlan
configuration on OpenIndiana using WPA-PSK2 doesn’t work, at least for me.

Rolf