[OpenIndiana-discuss] ssh in as root, PAM setup? Or a better way to zfs send not using root account?

alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Tue Mar 24 07:38:20 UTC 2020

some remarks

ssh as root
Edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and allow root

zfs send
is possible, fastest via mbuffer or netcat. I would expect that you can
send from old pool v28 to current pool v50000.

dedup
Is a pain with older Open-ZFS as it requires up to 5GB RAM per TB of
dedup data additionally to the RAM you want for read/write caching. In
current Illumos/OI, you can use special vdevs if you want dedup to hold
the dedup table there. Seems very promising. Care about ashift with
special vdevs. All vedevs (regular pool vdevs and special ones) must
have the same ashift. With current Illumos/OI, you can force ashift
during creation.

pfexec
you can use the "role stuff" or stay with sudo

web-ui
For OI you can use my napp-it web management tool that support newest
ZFS features. Beside the pro editions with support there are free
versions, see manuals at https://napp-it.org/manuals/index_en.html

Gea
@napp-it.org