[OpenIndiana-discuss] what to setup with 4 matched disks

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Nov 1 18:10:07 UTC 2020

Probably a poor day to post about this, but Sundays are often the only
days I have with enough time to try some experimentation.
Hopefully some of you will be reading and be able to do some coaching.
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

I've been coasting along for several years only using matched and
mirrored pairs of disks.

Now I would like to do some experimenting with some of the other
possible setups.  I'm thinking maybe raidz2 or raidz3.

I've read a bit about the benefits and its sounding kind of
attractive.

My needs are small compared to others here, and since I'm playing with
vbox vm instance of oi while leaving my hardware oi on old HP xw8600
alone. Not even running this vm on it.

So understand although my skill are miniscule compared to many
here... at least I won't be in danger of loosing anything very
important.

So I'd really like to hear some opinions from old hands on what setup
is better.

I may be able to get enough info googling to make the setup but any
advice on that part would be more than welcome too.