[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to determine what to do with a copied member of zfs fs

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Nov 17 18:35:40 UTC 2020

James via openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
writes:

> On 14/11/2020 16:03, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> While attempting to clean up some kind of error involving one zfs fs
>>
>> p0/vb2/vm2/d0
>> More importantly is there a way to determine what is going on with
>> ./vm2x/d0 .. that makes it so it cannot be deleted??
>
> If p0/vb2/vm2/d0 is a ZFS then you have to destroy the ZFS.
>

> # zfs create spool/junk
> # zfs list spool/junk
> NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> spool/junk    96K  2.83T    96K  /spool/junk
> # ls -l /spool/junk
> total 0
> # rm -r /spool/junk
> rm: Unable to remove directory /spool/junk: Device busy
> # zfs destroy spool/junk
> # ls -l /spool/junk
> /spool/junk: No such file or directory

First off [Put this first in case some readers would rather not read
any further]:
,----
|   It all seems to be moot now; following a reboot, it appears to
|   have solved itself as the non-delete-able directory is now gone.
`----

But to your point:

Well yeah, but if as stated in OP, I did't want to harm the VM at
p0/vb2/vm2/d0 <= this is a VM

What you showed is out.

But as stated in OP, I copied the vm {d0} to /vb2/vm2/vm2X/d0; I didn't
use the `cp' command, I used rsync

rsyncing /vb2/vm2/d0 to /vb2/vm2/vm2X/d0

what I am trying to delete is not a zfs file system.

Just  copied directories [...]vm2X/d0 inside a `zfs created'
file system (p0/vm2/vb2/d0).

When I tried to delete vm2X is where the failure is
[or more properly was].

     Thanks to all posters for the input