[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to downgrade virtualbox from latest version

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Nov 19 22:16:29 UTC 2020

Till Wegmueller <toasterson at gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Harry
>
> That sounds like a version mismatch between guest tools and Host
> Virtualbox. Can you make sure the guest has only the pkg provided
> virtualbox extensions installed? And not the ones via ISO.

First let me fill in another bit of info I forgot to include.  It
wasn't just an update right before this started; the host had a crash
that of course crashed the vms too. not once but twice separated 3-4
days. All fairly close to the time I began to notice there something
wrong with vm setup.

However crashes like have happened several other times with no notable bad
results.  Even at least twice I had lightening induced crashes. (Not recently)

But of course that is not something to rely on.

Also let me clear up something else I confused myself with,and probably any
readers here too.

I used Oracle Vbox from there site for years on OI.  But I finally
remembered I had switched over to using the one on our repo a couple
of months ago, my ancient old man memory let it slip and I went back
to thinking my current VBox installation was from Oracle but it is
not.  Sorry for weak mindedness.

So far as your question about guest additions, it is possible I did do
what you say.  Not on this most recent version though.

Also, when this phenomena started about a week ago, I had not done
anything with my VM or with virtualbox settings.

That is what led me to think it was the result of updating the OS.
But have since scratched that theory.

I'm starting to think something got hosed during the two crashes and
just didn't notice it for a day or two.  I don't monkey around with
the vm setup every day... sometimes weeks and months go by with only
using the Debian VBox vm install where I've run my mail stuff for
several yrs.

Once I really started paying attention, I see the phenomena described
in OP.

Can you think of any tests or other things I could do to start to
unravel the problem?