[OpenIndiana-discuss] With full update Can I run latest VBox

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Fri Oct 2 15:12:16 UTC 2020

Am 01.10.20 um 09:21 schrieb Predrag Zecevic:
> On 30.09.2020 19:10, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
>> Am 30.09.20 um 19:03 schrieb Harry Putnam:
>>> Can anyone tell me if I do a full update from my current OI, will I be
>>> able to run the latest VBox? ... I mean the latest at Oracle vbox site

>> No, we only provide 6.1.8 at the moment. I have created a PR for 6.1.14a
>> but nobody is able or willing to test it.
>> I can't test it on my desktop because even the actual 6.1.8 is not
>> working for me and I am not familiar with it as I only use KVM or BHyve.
>> I could merge the PR without any tests but that would probably lead to
>> unhappiness if it breaks for somebody.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I might be able to try 6.1.14a - just need instructions how (from
> where) to install it.
>
> Regards.
Thanks for the offer but alas at the moment we don't have the
infrastructure to support
creation of test packages. Thus, if you want to test a package not yet
released, you'll have
to create it on your own. That is, you'll need to have a build
environment for oi-userland and
get the contents of the PR, create and publish the new package and
finally update or install
from your local repository.
Work is underway to change this situation by providing a separate test
repository. But the
work for it just has started.

Regards,
Andreas