[OpenIndiana-discuss] Printing from Firefox does not work

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 15 20:44:49 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:35:37AM -0400, John D Groenveld wrote:

> root at openindiana:~# pkg search -l depend::library/desktop/gtk3/gtk-backend-cups
> INDEX       ACTION VALUE                                                    PACKAGE
> incorporate depend library/desktop/gtk3/gtk-backend-cups at 3.24.23-2020.0.1.0 pkg:/consolidation/userland/userland-incorporation at 0.5.11-2020.0.1.13521
> require     depend library/desktop/gtk3/gtk-backend-cups                    pkg:/mate_install at 0.1-2020.0.1.42
>
> I installed my test Hipster VM via the text ISO and then installed
> mate_install to get the GUI.
> Does the GUI ISO installer not include mate_install?

I found the cause.  `pkg update' can only update the installed
packages.  mate_install is not installed.  Therefore, the dependancy
on that package is not consulted.  mate_install is installed by the
live image, but it is removed again when the install completes.

mate_install is a list of packages that make up a Mate installations,
but it gets removed again, making it a special case.  Because of this
special treatment for mate_install, that package doesn't really work.
If you have done the install some time ago, `pkg update' will not
observe changes to mate_install .  The only solution is to make
mate_install something that can be installed permanently.  At the very
least, the gtk-backend-cups dependancies should be attached to real
packages.