[OpenIndiana-discuss] Intruducing a new pair of rpool mirror discs

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Oct 16 00:49:57 UTC 2020

I've been running on a single rpool disk of what was a mirrored pair for
some time and am planning on correcting that now.  One disc went belly
up some months ago.

I want to take the opportunity to introduce a pair of 300gb
velocaraptors (sp) to replace both the bad disk and the working disk.

'the orginals where a pair of 700GB sata discs now quite long in the
tooth, and as mentioned one down already.

So, I'm wondering how to go at this.  If I  stick in one of the
300 GB `raptors' and make it a mirror to the working 700gb rpool disk what
will happen?

There is nowhere near 300GB data on that single 700GB disk holding
rpool.

Will that mean that the mismatch in disk space will just be lost from
the 700GB disk?  And once I've made the new 300gb mirror bootable,
could I then pull that last remaining 700GB disk and insert the second
300gb `raptor, make it a mirror, render it bootable and proceed on my
way with once again a matched pair of mirror discs on rpool?

Somehow I have bad feeling I'm overlooking a few things that might
bite me in the booty.