[OpenIndiana-discuss] basic send/recv: how to mk mountpoint where you want it

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Oct 18 00:36:06 UTC 2020

Haven't used send/recv to speak of but experimenting today I wonder if
there is some tricky way to set mountpoint of the recvd filesystem in
some better way that what I've been getting:

Here I see seems sort of wrong:
(First let me establish some basics)

,----
| On recv host:
|
| zfs list -r p0:
|
| NAME       USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
| p0         412K   386G       24K  /p0
| p0/git      24K   386G       24K  /usr/local/src/git
| p0/spool    24K   386G       24K  /spool
`----

Now running send / recv

 zfs send p0/projects at 201017|ssh RH zfs recv p0/projects

OK .. no errors

,----
| So, looking on recv host again:
|
| p0           98.3M   385G       24K  /p0
| p0/git         24K   385G       24K  /usr/local/src/git
| p0/projects  97.9M   385G     97.9M  /p0/projects
| p0/spool       24K   385G       24K  /spool
`----

Notice the mountpoint is /p0/projects

So now I have to login to recv host and set mountpoint to what I want.

So it seems then that unless there is a better way I might as well had
logged in on recv host ran:

zfs create -o mountpoint=/projects  p0/projects

then rsynced the data into it.

Seems like the mount of work and time would be about the same (unless
since my data sample is small, I'm seeing a skewed test in the event
rsync is much slower than send recv)

Hopefully some of you will see my errors and clear this up for me.