[OpenIndiana-discuss] where is gcc

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Oct 22 21:01:04 UTC 2020

Running latest oi-hipster in vbox vm

I want a working gcc, I see only gcc-3-runtime and gcc-7-runtime.
Installed

Pkg contents tells me they don't contain the gcc compiler.

So attempting to install several different ones of the gcc compilers
found in `pkg list -a' output but I'm told none so far are eligible for
image installed when I installed from 2020.05 installl media
yesterday.

I've tried developer/gcc[569].  all of them report
Some form of this:

Creating Plan (Solver setup): \
pkg install: No matching version of developer/gcc-9 can be installed:
  Reject:  pkg://openindiana.org/developer/gcc-9@9.3.0-2020.0.1.3
  Reason:  No version matching 'require' dependency developer/gnu-binutils can be installed
    Reject:  pkg://openindiana.org/developer/gnu-binutils@2.34-2020.0.1.1
    Reason:  This version is excluded by installed incorporation consolidation/userland/userland-incorporation at 0.5.11-2020.0.1.12901

OK, so who do I have to payoff to be allowed to install an at least
semi-newish gcc?

Joking aside, let me say that I also run a version of hipster on metal that has
been update periodically all the way from several yrs ago.  It has the
exact same incorporation pkgs installed as the subject vm version at
hand.  And yet somehow I've managed to install developer/gcc-6 and 7

I've forgotten what I did to install them, but pretty sure I'm missing
the boat about how this is done, probably several boats.

So getting to it, I want to be able to compile things as they come up,
currently xbindkeys is what brought it up right now.  So can someone
refresh me a bit on how I go about getting a reasonably modern gcc in play?