[OpenIndiana-discuss] Layout of zfs fs

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Oct 27 22:42:02 UTC 2020

vab at bb-c.de (Volker A. Brandt) writes:

> Hi Harry!
>

>> > Both will work.  Any dataset snapshot can be sent/received separately,
>> > if you want.  But you can also use a recursive send where the dataset
>> > itself and all "child datasets" will be included in the stream.  Check
>> > out the "-r" and "-R" flags in the zfs(1M) man page.
>>
>> I could not find an -r (lowercase) for send sub-command (maybe you are
>> only refering to zfs main cmd).
>
> No, it was a Solaris-ism that doesn't exist in illumos.  Sorry for not
> having checked it before sending the mail.
>
>> But experimenting with send -R I seem to have
>> gotten myself into some trouble.
>>
>> I attempted to:
>>    zfs send -R rpool/export/home/MYUSER |ssh oi0 zfs recv p12x
>
> OK, so you are transferring an entire dataset, not a snapshot.  Not
> sure how this could have worked, as the -R flag only applies to
> snapshots, not datasets.

More sloppy work on my part, I actually did send a snapshot just
shorted the info in my post.

[...] Snipped the result of my misleading information

But the good thing is that even after being totally mislead by me you
still managed to solve my issue.

>   zfs send -R rpool/export/home/MYUSER at now |
>   ssh oi0 zfs recv -e -o mountpoint=/export/home/MYUSER p12x/export/home
>
> You could leave out -R since there is nothing to replicate if you only
> have one dataset with one snapshot.
>
> The "-e" will tell zfs recv to just use the MYUSER part of the sent
> dataset name.  Note that p12x/export/home must already exist.
>
> If you want to be sure everything is copied before mounting it, use
> "zfs recv -u ..." so that datasets aren't automatically mounted on the
> receiving side.
>

> Hope this helps -- Volker

Very much so.  And thanks for being persistent even in the face of my
sloppy, mis-managed plea for help.