[OpenIndiana-discuss] Layout of zfs fs

Coalson, Timothy Scott (S&T-Student) tsc5yc at mst.edu
Tue Oct 27 23:13:51 UTC 2020

Let me rephrase: the main difference between a zfs fs and an ordinary folder is that you can create snapshots of a zfs fs, but not of a folder.  Your plans involve creating several zfs fs'es, but it isn't clear to me why you seem to want to do that rather than use ordinary folders.  The symlink way (for a non-zfs setup) would go something like:

# mount <some empty fs> /mnt/drive2
# mkdir /mnt/drive2/usr/local/src
# ln -s /mnt/drive2/usr/local/src /usr/local/src
# mkdir /usr/local/src/git

One new fs, on one mountpoint, that isn't mounted within the /usr tree.  Though, in your case, you seem to be relocating the entirety of /usr/local onto a different pool, which would go slightly differently if it isn't currently empty.

Tim