[OpenIndiana-discuss] Docker

Austin Kim freennix at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 00:38:13 UTC 2021

On Apr 2, 2021, at 8:25 PM, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2021, Austin Kim wrote:
>>
>> I’m trying to decide between running OpenIndiana and running FreeBSD as the OS whereon to build a WWW and application server; I prefer Illumos’s UNIX System V Release 4 provenance via OpenSolaris to FreeBSD’s 4.4BSD-Lite2 origins via 386BSD (I considered Linux but am really turned off by systemd), but I would also like to be able to run Docker containers.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to some documentation for running Docker on Illumos/OpenIndiana?  A quick DuckDuckGo search turned up nothing (or maybe I just didn’t know where to look).  ’preciate it
>
> Some Illumos-based systems provide a Linux emulation environment (LX Zone) which allows to execute a Linux installation footprint similar to using LXC or Docker (emulated at normal performance using the Illumos kernel), but you would not be able to run "Docker" itself except for under Linux running in a VM running under Illumos.
>
> Docker itself is not available for Illumos.
>
> See https://illumos.org/docs/about/features/ for information on LX Zones and the two available VMs.  It does not seem that OpenIndiana provides LX Zone support.
>
> Bob
> --
> Bob Friesenhahn
> bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
> Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt

From https://illumos.org/docs/about/features/ :
“LX-branded zones provide the Linux system call interface, allowing you to run most Linux application binaries without recompiling them for illumos. This facility is available in several illumos distributions, including SmartOS and OmniOS.”

This is precisely the info I was looking for; OmniOS it is then (unless someone can confirm that LX-branded zones are available in OpenIndiana as well).  Thanks so much man

“We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible.”  —Allan Massie, _A Question of Loyalties_, 1989