[OpenIndiana-discuss] nVidia and AHCI drivers in Hipster 2021.04_rc1

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 02:38:19 UTC 2021

In testing 2021.04_rc1 I found it installed the 390 driver when I needed the 340 driver.  As a consequence I trashed my initial install when I ran the nvidia-config program and replaced the vesa driver.

It seems to me that we should be able to wrap nvidia-config  with a shell script which determines via prtconf which card is present, selects the proper driver and takes the appropriate actions via pkg(1m) by doing a "pkg uninstall" and pkg install --reject..."  operation.

I entered a number of bug reports with the release candidate that Andreas supplied.  The nVidia driver and the AHCI driver are the most important.  The rest range from trivial to arguable as to what to do.  Better documentation is probably the biggest need.

I was looking at the GUI ISO and it's a bit opaque.  In particular I can't inspect /usr/bin/text-install which obfuscates the AHCI and nVidia driver configuration.   I shall boot the ISO and examine the Live Image python script tomorrow if time permits.

The GUI ISO works fine with the Z400 in AHCI mode, but the installed system doesn't boot. I've not gotten around to the other ISOs yet.

We're close, but not there yet.

Have Fun!
Reg