[OpenIndiana-discuss] nVIDIA driver pkgs

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 16:44:57 UTC 2021

In testing the 2021.04_rc1 ISO I ran nvidia-xconfig and  hosed the graphics because 390.x was installed rather than 340.x.  I went to the NVIDIA X server settings to rotate the screen to portrait.  It said to run nvidia-xconfig as root which was *not* good.

To fix it I reinstalled from the Live Image disk using the text installer which configures X to use the vesa driver.

I then did:

pkg uninstall  pkg:driver/graphics/nvidia-390

when I tried:

pkg install pkg:driver/graphics/nvidia-340

it failed with conflict messages.  I resolved those with:

pkg install --reject pkg:driver/graphics/nvidia-390 pkg:driver/graphics/nvidia-340

That worked and I'm now running the 340.108 driver.

I've been working on a script to use the the device ID from the scanpci(1) output to automate installing the correct driver.  I've done the lookup table for the 340.x and 390.x drivers and will add 460.x shortly.  Adding older drivers is not a problem if anyone wants them.

There are a couple of ways to do this.  In the install program or a wrapper around nvidia-xconfig that checks that the correct driver is installed before running the binary.

Comments?

Have Fun!
Reg