[OpenIndiana-discuss] Full disk install of 2021.04_rc1 on 5 TB disk

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 23:14:45 UTC 2021

Sadly rather messy.  I was forced to use a gparted live CD to relabel the disk and got 128 partitions instead of the 9 the Sun EFI  label creates.

Here's what the system reports after the initial reboot.  The console log while I fumbled around with "format -e" and "I'm sorry. I can't do that."  was too crazy to bother cleaning up.  I'd have to do it all over.  At this point I know how to get what I want.  So I plan to order large disks and do my s0 & s1 layout.

BTW "format -e" will dump core on a SEGV fault if it doesn't like the label.  Only solution I know is to label via a USB hard drive adapter or a live CD.

Key point is to create the partition table and pool *before* you start the text-install from the GUI Live Image.  Then select F5 on the first screen of the installer to use an existing pool.

I hope this proves useful to someone.  I suspect that you can do it on S10 u8 and may try it at some point.  However, it really is time to update that system.

In summary, you can do any sort of install you want, but as has been the case with every installer I've ever run, you'll probably have to do it a dozen times to get what you want.

I can see no reason that large disks can't be handled in the GUI installer and present the user with a 9 slice table as per traditional Sun SMI labels.  I had that until I decided I'd demonstrate a full disk install.  Should have quit while I was ahead.  I plan to go back to the 100 GB root pool in s0 and the rest in s1, so I'll try to capture that process more accurately when I build out the new disk array.

Have Fun!
Reg

NB I'm sending this from the install described.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root at 2021-04-rc1:~# zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          c4d0      ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
root at 2021-04-rc1:~# zfs list
NAME                       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool                     6.15G  4.40T    35K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT                6.15G  4.40T    24K  legacy
rpool/ROOT/full-disk      6.15G  4.40T  5.37G  /
rpool/ROOT/full-disk/var   787M  4.40T   784M  /var
root at 2021-04-rc1:~# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c4d0
* /dev/rdsk/c4d0 partition map
*
* Dimensions:
*         512 bytes/sector
*  9767374848 sectors
*  9767374781 accessible sectors
*
* Flags:
*   1: unmountable
*  10: read-only
*
* Unallocated space:
*         First       Sector      Last
*         Sector       Count      Sector
*            34         222         255
*
*                            First       Sector      Last
* Partition  Tag  Flags      Sector       Count      Sector  Mount Directory
       0      4    00          256  9767358175  9767358430
       8     11    00   9767358431       16384  9767374814
root at 2021-04-rc1:~#