[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos/OI development system installation

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 21:38:22 UTC 2021

 Please post to the wiki a console log from a fresh install of 2020.10 that performs all the steps you outlined below, recompiles format(1m) so it can be run under a debugger, commits it to a local repository and then rebuilds it from the repository and installs it.

Give me that and I'll fix as many of the SEGVs as I can find. And at this point I know how to trigger several. I also know on general principle how to locate code that has the potential to cause a SEGV and preemptively guard the operation and produce an user intelligible message on stderr.

I started using OI_151_a5. A lot has changed since then. There is a huge amount of no longer correct stuff out there waiting for the unwary. Fixing a SEGV is a few hours work. Sorting out how the the build system and repositories have changed is several days work.

I'm asking for an explicit recipe. I've got all the reference books I need. If what I want to do actually is simple, then it should not take very long to do it and post the console log.

If you want help, help me.

My own software is in a system such that "make -DEBUG=[123]" compiles the software for testing. 1 is plain debug, 2 is gprof and 3 is efence. This runs across several system architectures. In an industrial setting I have done fancier build systems that supported simultaneous compilation and test suite execution across SunOS, HP-UX, CLIX, IRIX, Ultrix and AIX in the same directory from the same source files.

Extract <product> <component>
Make <product> <component>
Test <product> component>
Checkin <product> <component>

It was built on SCCS and required one Extract and one Checkin. It required a Make and Test for each system platform. We used multiple xterms and rlogins so we just switched from one to the next to run the Make and Test steps. The entire system had a Build <product> operation that beat the NFS server so hard that I could only do a Build on one system at a time. I'd start a Build at work and then log in around 9 pm via a dumb terminal and modem to check the log file. If it was OK I started a Build on the next system. The terminal sat on top of a 3 drawer lateral file. I told the client that I didn't charge unless I had to sit down. Build ran a very large regression test suite.

Reg

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 02:29:27 PM CDT, Aurélien Larcher <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 7:27 PM Reginald Beardsley via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> Which does what? Does that retrieve the source code? If so, where does it
> put it? What are the prerequisites? Neither pkg(1) nor pkg(5) offer any
> explanation.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve but building and installing
illumos-gate on OI can be as simple as:
- cloning oi-userland,
- committing your changes locally or changing the branch to build in
oi-userland/components/openindiana/illumos-gate/Makefile and incrementing
the branch version,
- running gmake publish in components/openindiana/illumos-gate to build and
publish to the local repository located in oi-userland/i386/repo
- running pkg update -g oi-userland/i386/repo to a new BE,
- reboot.