[OpenIndiana-discuss] Where do ECC errors get logged?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 22:56:17 UTC 2021

OK guys, I think I know where to look now. Thanks!

With a recipe from Andy Fiddaman I was able to build format(1m). It took rather a long time to get things set up, so I decided to pull the trigger on a replacement for my aging Z400s.

I just bought an HP Z840 on ebay with a 14 core E5-2690 V4. It only has 8 GB of DRAM, but it was $800 + tax so I should be able to kick it up to 64 or 128 GB at reasonable cost to use as an Illumos/OI dev system.

I must admit that "wc *.[ch]" in the format directory gave me pause when I saw how many lines it totaled for the simple reason of being a lot to read. But it's a lot cleaner than the 125 KLOC FORTRAN codes I've dealt with and those simply aren't possible to read before going to work. The client wouldn't stand for the delay. And you've not seen ugly until you've seen the typical research scientist written program.

I think I'll likely start by stripping out all the comments and reading those for orientation. But I'm quite excited at being able to fix things that annoy me. And the only thing that annoys me more than a core dump is a kernel panic. However, I'll pass on fixing the latter as things are just too complex now. There are lots of other things on my bucket list. Like building radios and making stuff on my lathes and mill. When I was younger I was hot to do kernel work, but it takes a lot of time and effort to come up to speed.

The OS as a whole is beyond any one person's grasp. I doubt that John von Neumann could grasp it all, even with his celebrated photographic memory. "A Tale of Two Cities" is small potatoes relative to 2 million lines of source code.

If anyone knows of a reliable source of 4x 16 GB DIMMS for a Z840, please drop me a line off list.

Have Fun!
Reg

     On Monday, April 12, 2021, 04:19:16 PM CDT, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

 On Mon, 12 Apr 2021, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Read the manual pages regarding 'fmadm', 'fmdump', and 'fmstat'.  In
> particular, I believe that 'fmstat' will output the data that you are looking
> for. When I had memory ECC errors that is how I was able to see them.

Darn it!  I meant to type 'fmdump'.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn