[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing to a RAIDZ2 root pool How-To

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 14:16:35 UTC 2021

It is my understanding that we can now boot from a RAIDZ pool.   Are there any known limitations?     I  looked at the wiki and I didn't see any instructions related to booting from a RAIDZ pool or installing into a RAIDZ pool.

It looks pretty straight forward, but there are some details that are not obvious.  In particular the need to create the pool and use the text-install script to install into an existing pool.  That will not create rpool/swap and rpool/dump so the user must run dumpadm and swap to set up dump and swap space.

As I am going to be doing this shortly with a RAIDZ2 rpool I thought I should write up the process for the wiki if there is not a How-To already that I missed.

Reg