[OpenIndiana-discuss] RAIDZ2 root pool install fun :-(

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 21:23:59 UTC 2021

I did an install of 2020.10 from a text USB stick on an HP NL40 with a 4x 2 TB RAIDZ2 root pool this morning without any issues.

My Z840 showed up and things have not gone well.  After a bit of BIOS fubar I was able to create a RAIDZ2 pool, but the pseudo device names were very long.

/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B7002F3d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B700305d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B700306d0s0
/dev/dsk/c0t5000039A7B78030Fd0s0

When the system arrived it had Windows 10 installed.  I booted that and it was OK, so I pulled the disk and installed 4x 4 TB Toshiba X300 disks.

On boot the Live Image Desktop came up, but I could only see 2 of the 4 disks.  Fiddling with the BIOS eventually got it to see all 4 drives, though at one point format(1m) could not see any disks until I reset the BIOS to factory defaults.

Now the Desktop won't come up.  If I run the text-installer on the GUI ISO in single user mode  it crashes. Bug #13734.

The USB text-install ran and installed, but the system doesn't boot.  I've not yet done an installboot to all the disks.  That's next.  If that doesn't work I'll try S11.4.

The Z840 BIOS is *very* different from the Z400.  But I've successfully installed 2020.10  in a single 5 TB  pool using the GUI DVD and the text-install script on a Z400.

Reg